Dell EMC PowerStore 3000X
Flexibility to run applications directly on PowerStore with AppsON
Get a Quote!
PowerStore 1000X through 9000X models take storage platforms in a bold new direction, combining the fundamental benefits of enterprise shared storage with the capabilities of an on-board hypervisor. Integrating the PowerStore’s container-based software architecture with VMware ESXi provides unmatched operational and management integration between storage and the virtualized compute environment. Designed for the modern data center, PowerStore’s data-centric design with NVMe and hardware-enabled Advanced Data Reduction and 4:1 DRR deliver critical performance and storage efficiency for both traditional and modern applications.
Modern data center challenges require a new approach to storage infrastructure
In the new data era, the combination of massive amounts of data and unparalleled technology innovation has given businesses of all sizes the opportunity to become disruptive, digital powerhouses. But despite this potential, many learn that digital transformation can be complex and challenging. Data has become more diverse than ever before – and it is now being created, processed and stored everywhere, from edge to cloud. Most organizations have found that no single infrastructure can address all their data requirements, so they utilize different architectures, creating siloes of IT resources that are managed and consumed independently.
At the same time, IT is under increasing pressure to deliver greater levels of simplicity and agility on the business side. Enterprise-grade, on-premises storage must now provide the same operational flexibility as cloud, becoming ever more adaptable, automated and easier to integrate with existing management frameworks.
To meet these conflicting demands, a new architecture and approach to storage is required. Dell Technologies introduces PowerStore – a modern storage appliance designed for the data era. This game-changing new platform unlocks the power of data, regardless of its structure or location, helping you adapt and transform your IT without disrupting current operations.
- New data-centric, intelligent, and adaptable infrastructure supports diverse requirements while simplifying IT operations
- Innovative AppsON capability lets you run virtualized workloads directly on the array, making them portable, agile and fast
- The only purpose-built array with a built-in VMware ESXi hypervisor. Complements and extends your current VMware investments.
- Any workload – single architecture for physical, virtual, and container-based apps and databases. Designed for “6 9s” availability
- Performance optimized – end-to-end NVMe design is up to 7X faster3 than previous arrays with up to 3X better response time.
- Scale up and scale out – independently add capacity or processing power.
- Efficiency without compromise – always-on inline data reduction with guaranteed 4:1 average DRR
- Programmable infrastructure – end-to-end automation streamlines IT and DevOps
- Autonomous appliance – built-in machine learning optimizes resources
- Proactive healthy analytics – smart monitoring reduces risk and predicts needs
- Flexible architecture – container-based software stack enables application mobility
- Flexible deployment – modernize the core, edge and cloud without disruption
- Flexible consumption – choice, predictability and investment protection with pay-per-use solutions and data-in-place upgrades
The future of storage is here
From both a technology and an operational perspective, PowerStore complements and advances your current infrastructure. Built from the ground up to provide unprecedented capabilities leveraging next-gen technology, the adaptable new platfor m simultaneously offers a familiar context and mature, comprehensive ecosystem support.
Whether your current environment includes traditional 3-tier solutions (servers, networks, arrays), hyperconverged infrastructure, hybrid or public cloud, or a mixture of everything, PowerStore helps you simplify and modernize without adding another management silo, allowing your IT staff leverage current skillsets while investing confidently in the future.
Start with best-in-class
Purpose-built storage arrays have evolved over the years to fill an essential role in the datacenter, providing ever-expanding levels of performance, capacity, and resiliency for mission-critical workloads. PowerStore begins with the very best of modern storage technology, delivering a new kind of storage appliance with advanced services to complement and extend existing onpremises environments.
PowerStore’s single architecture for block, file, and VMware vVols leverages the latest technologies to support an enterprise-class variety of traditional and modern workloads – from relational databases, to ERP and EMR apps, cloud native applications, and file-based workloads such as content repositories and home directories. DC, low-line power and NEBS-ready solutions are available. The ability to accommodate application, multi-protocol network and multi-format storage diversity (physical and virtual volumes, containers, traditional files) within a single 2U appliance provides business-enabling flexibility and helps IT simplify and consolidate their infrastructure.
Designed to leverage next-gen innovations such as end-to-end NVMe (both FC and Ethernet) and dual-port Intel Optane solid state drives (SSDs) as Storage Class Memory (SCM), PowerStore delivers up to 7x more IOPs3 and 3x lower latency4 for real-world workloads compared to our previous storage generation, giving you all the headroom you need to ensure long-term value through multiple solution lifecycles.
Scale up and scale out
Expanding the capabilities of your initial PowerStore configuration is simple and extremely efficient, as capacity and performance may be scaled independently. Each active-active PowerStore appliance can grow to over 2.8 PB effective capacity, and multiple appliances can be clustered for greater performance.
Efficiency without compromise
Regardless of how you grow, PowerStore costs remain consistently low. Deduplication and compression are “always on,” and thanks to Intel QuickAssist hardware acceleration, PowerStore systems provide a guaranteed average 4:1 data reduction6 without compromising performance.
Make it simpler, and more intelligent
But it’s not just performance and scale. PowerStore also delivers unprecedented levels of intelligence and automation, eliminating complexity, while enabling faster delivery of new applications and services with up to 99% less management interaction.
PowerStore streamlines application development and automates storage workflows through integration with VMware and a broad ecosystem of leading management and orchestration frameworks. You can provision PowerStore services directly from the application toolsets you use most. For example, IT and DevOps users can take advantage of plug-ins for VMware (vRO Plugin), Kubernetes (CSI Driver) and Ansible (Ansible Module), reducing deployment timeframes from days to seconds.
PowerStore includes built-in intelligence to eliminate dozens of time-consuming tasks and decision points. Labor-intensive processes like initial volume placement, migrations, load balancing and issue resolution are automated by PowerStore’s onboard machine learning (ML) engine, which fine-tunes both individual and clustered appliances, optimizing performance and cost as the solution evolves to meet new challenges. SmartFabric Storage Software support even automates network tasks in an end-to-end NVMe environment.
Proactive health and cybersecurity analytics
CloudIQ, included with PowerStore, gives administrators faster time to insight, with all the intel they need to take quick action and more efficiently manage their storage environment. By combining machine learning, advanced analytics and human intelligence, the cloud-based app reduces risk, spots anomalies before trouble occurs, and helps even IT generalists plan for future storage needs with powerful forecasting. CloudIQ makes storage management tasks easier, so you can get back to focusing on your business goals.
Ready to adapt when you are
If the advantages stopped here, PowerStore would already offer incredible storage value with a powerful lineup of enterprise-class features. However, the PowerStore difference goes much deeper with revolutionary new capabilities that not only support current needs, transforming the way you run your data center today, but also empower you to evolve your infrastructure as your business evolves – as unpredictable as that may be.
PowerStore’s container-based software architecture, known as PowerStoreOS, improves performance, fault tolerance and security by isolating individual OS components as microservices. It also enables feature portability and rapid delivery of new or enhanced services over time. Administrators can choose to deploy PowerStoreOS in a bare metal configuration directly on the PowerStore hardware, or within a virtual machine (VM) running on PowerStore’s optional built-in VMware hypervisor, providing yet another layer of isolation, intelligence and abstraction. When PowerStoreOS runs on a VM, administrators can also access the hypervisor to deploy their own applications directly on the appliance, using the same VMware tools and methods they use with external hosts. This gamechanging capability, known as AppsON, is ideal for data-intensive workloads in core or edge locations where infrastructure simplicity and density is required, as well as for “infrastructure applications” such as anti-virus or monitoring software.
Best of all, since VMware ESXi is the underlying foundation, administrators can move seamlessly between these services. PowerStore cluster management, combined with VMware tools including vMotion and storage vMotion, enables easy application mobility in and out of PowerStore to other VMware targets.
Using a single storage instance, applications can be deployed on networked servers, hyperconverged infrastructure, or directly on the PowerStore appliance, and migrated transparently among any of them, allowing IT and application owners to quickly deploy and reassign workloads to the most effective environment based on current requirements and available resources.
PowerStore’s compact footprint and adaptable design is ideal for:
- Edge-based IoT data analytics and remote office applications where ease of deployment and advanced replication is required
- Core data center modernization, when flexibility, application mobility, and VMware integration is critical for consistent operations
- Multi-cloud access, including hybrid solutions that allow customers to integrate on-premises infrastructure with public cloud while maintaining management and operational consistency.
Leveraging Dell Technologies Cloud Validated Designs, PowerStore can provide an ideal landing zone for data intensive workloads on VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF). PowerStore is also supported with Dell EMC Cloud Storage Services, which directly connects PowerStore to the users’ cloud(s) of choice, as a managed service. Cloud Storage Services can provide DRaaS to VMware Cloud on Amazon Web Services (AWS) with full operational consistency using VMware.
PowerStore may be deployed as a standalone appliance complementing existing infrastructure, or as a storage option within Dell Technologies VxBlock for CI, our all-in-one autonomous infrastructure cloud platform.
PowerStore simplifies storage acquisition and ownership with a range of flexible purchase options that match the needs of your organization. From traditional CAPEX to APEX Custom Solutions pay-per-use offerings that align spending with usage, PowerStore optimizes both technological and financial outcomes. Whether you’re adding storage only, or launching an end-to-end solution involving multiple product categories, we’ll make sure you get the best possible return on your IT spend – both at the start and as you expand your environment.
Continuously modern platform
Within any deployment scenario, PowerStore is designed to eliminate costly and disruptive forklift migrations by seamlessly evolving both the software and hardware capabilities of the platform as new technologies become available.
All array software is included with the hardware purchase. There are no feature licenses to buy and maintain, and future software enhancements are provided at no cost. Anytime Upgrade, the industry’s most flexible controller upgrade program, 10 gives you immediate access to the latest hardware developments, allowing you to add state-of-the-art performance while preserving your original enclosure and drive investments. Unlike other programs, Anytime Upgrade provides multiple ways to evolve your PowerStore system.
- Data-in-place node upgrades: Replace the nodes (controllers) in your existing appliance with Next Gen + Higher Model versions.
- Scale-out upgrade: Apply a discount credit to expand your PowerStore cluster with a second system equal to your current model.
Each upgrade category is completely non-disruptive, and may be executed at any time during your maintenance contract. You are not required to renew your contract to receive the upgrade.
|Base System Enclosures||25x2.5” drives, four IO modules||21x2.5” drives, 2xNVRAM modules four IO modules||21x2.5” drives, 2xNVRAM modules four IO modules||21x2.5” drives, 4xNVRAM modules four IO modules||21x2.5” drives, 4xNVRAM modules four IO modules||21x2.5” drives, 4xNVRAM modules four IO modules|
|CPU per Appliance||2 x Intel CPUs||4 x Intel CPUs||4 x Intel CPUs||4 x Intel CPUs||4 x Intel CPUs||4 x Intel CPUs|
|NVRAM per Appliance||N/A||2||2||4||4||4|
|Base Enclosure||A 2U, 2 node enclosure with twenty-five 2.5” NVMe drive slots|
|Expansion Enclosure||N/A||A 2U enclosure attached to a PowerStore base enclosure with twenty-five 2.5” SAS drives slots (3 max per appliance)|
|Power Supplies||PowerStore appliances are powered by 2 redundant power supplies (PS) per enclosure.|
|Data Resiliency||Dynamic Resiliency Engine (DRE)|
|Max Mezzanine cards per Appliance1||2||2||2||2||2||2|
|Max IO Modules per Appliance2||44||4||4||4||4||4|
|Embedded SAS IO Ports per Appliance||N/A||4 x 4 lane 12Gb/s SAS ports for back end connection|
|Max front end Ports per Appliance (all types)||24||24||24||24||24||24|
|Max 16/32Gb FC Ports per Appliance||16||16||16||16||16||16|
|Max 10 Gbase-T/iSCSI Ports per Appliance||24||24||24||24||24||24|
|Max 10/25 GbE/iSCSI Ports per Appliance||28||24||24||24||24||24|
|Max Raw Capacity3||384 TB
|Protocols||iSCSI, NVMe-FC, FC, vVols, SMB, NFS|
|Appliance System Limits|
|Max Block Volumes/Clones||1,000||2,000||2,000||2,000||2,000||2,000|
|Max Volumes per Volume Group||75||75||75||75||75||75|
|Max Volume Groups||125||125||125||125||125||125|
|Max Volume Size||256 TB||256 TB||256 TB||256 TB||256 TB||256 TB|
|Max Snapshots (Block)||50,000||50,000||50,000||50,000||50,000||50,000|
|Max vVol Storage Containers||50||50||50||50||50||50|
|OS Support||See the Dell EMC Simple Support Matrix on delltechnologies.com|
|Cluster System Limits|
|Max. Front End Ports||96||96||96||96||96||96|
|Max. iSCSI sessions||2,048||2,048||2,048||2,048||2,048||2,048|
|Max Initiators in an Initiator Group||1,024||1,024||1,024||1,024||1,024||1,024|
|AC Line Voltage||10.6 A max at 100V
5.3 A max at 200V
|8.1 A max at 200V||8.1 A max at 200V||9.0 A max at 200V||9.3 A max at 200V||10.4 A max at 200V|
|AC Line Current (operating maximum)||1061 VA (1040 W) max at 200V-240V||1629.6 VA (1597 W) max at 200V240V (+/- 10%)||1629.6 VA (1597 W) max at 200V240V (+/- 10%)||1792.9. VA (1757.96 W) max at 200V-240V (+/- 10%)||1868.4 VA (1831 W) max at 200V240V (+/- 10%)||2088.8 VA (2047 W) max at 200V240V (+/- 10%)|
|Power Factor||0.95 minimum at full load, @ 200 VAC|
|Heat Dissipation (operating maximum)||3.74 x 10 J/hr (3,549 Btu/hr) max 200VAC||5.74 x 10 J/hr, (5,449 Btu/hr) max 200VAC||5.74 x 10 J/hr, (5,449 Btu/hr) max 200VAC||6.32 x 10 J/hr, (5,995 Btu/hr) max 200VAC||6.59 x 10 J/hr, (6,248 Btu/hr) max 200VAC||7.37 x 10 J/hr, (6,985 Btu/hr) max 200VAC|
|In-rush Current||45 Apk “cold” per line cord, at any line voltage|
|Startup Surge Current||120 Apk “hot” per line cord, at any line voltage|
|AC Protection||20 A fuse on each power supply, single line|
|AC Inlet Type||IEC320-C20 (100VAC) (500T Low line) EC320-C14 or IEC320-C20||IEC320-C14 or IEC320-C20||IEC320-C14 or IEC320-C20||PowerStore 5000T IEC320-C14 or IEC320-C20 PowerStore 5000X IEC320-C20||IEC320-C20||IEC320-C20|
|Ride-through Time||10 ms min||10 ms min||10 ms min||10 ms min||10 ms min||10 ms min|
|Current Sharing||± 5 percent of full load, between power supplies|
|Weight and Dimensions||500||1000||3000||5000||7000||9000|
|Weight||Empty 30.38 kg/66.97 lbs
Full 37.4 kg/82.4 lbs
|Empty 35.80 kg/79 lbs
Full 41.7 kg/92 lbs
|Empty 35.80 kg/79 lbs
Full 41.7 kg/92 lbs
|Empty 35.80 kg/79 lbs
Full 41.7 kg/92 lbs
|Empty 35.80 kg/79 lbs
Full 41.7 kg/92 lbs
|Empty 35.80 kg/79 lbs
Full 41.7 kg/92 lbs
|Vertical size||2 NEMA units||2 NEMA units||2 NEMA units||2 NEMA units||2 NEMA units||2 NEMA units|
|Height||8.72 cm / 3.43 inches||8.72 cm / 3.43 inches||8.72 cm / 3.43 inches||8.72 cm / 3.43 inches||8.72 cm / 3.43 inches||8.72 cm / 3.43 inches|
|Width||44.72 cm / 17.61 inches||44.72 cm / 17.61 inches||44.72 cm / 17.61 inches||44.72 cm / 17.61 inches||44.72 cm / 17.61 inches||44.72 cm / 17.61 inches|
|Depth||79.55 cm / 31.32 inches||79.55 cm / 31.32 inches||79.55 cm / 31.32 inches||79.55 cm / 31.32 inches||79.55 cm / 31.32 inches||79.55 cm / 31.32 inches|
|Service and Support|
|Services & Support Technologies||
|Recommended Range Operation||18°C to 27°C (64.4°F to 80.6°F) and 15°C (59°F) dew point|
|Continuous Allowable Range Operation||5°C to 35°C (50°F to 95°F) at 20% to 80% relative humidity with 21°C (69.8°F) maximum dew point (maximum wet bulb temperature). De-rate maximum allowable dry bulb temperature at 1°C per 300m above 950m (1°F per 547 ft above 3117 ft).|
|Improbable Operation (Excursion Limited)||35°C to 40°C (with no direct sunlight on the equipment) at -12°C minimum dew point and 8% to 85% relative humidity with 24°C maximum dew point (wet bulb temperature). Outside the continuously allowable range (10°C to 35°C), the system can operate down to 5°C or up to 40°C for a maximum of 10% of its annual operating hours. For temperatures between 35°C and 40°C (95°F to 104°F), de-rate maximum allowable dry bulb temperature by 1°C per 175m above 950m (1°F per 319 ft above 3117 ft).|
|Temperature Gradient||20°C / hour (36°F / hour)|
|Altitude||Max Operating: 3050m (10,000ft)|
OE Protocols and Software Facilities
Support is provided for a wide variety of protocols and advanced features available via various software suites, plug-ins, drivers and packs.
Protocols and Facilities Supported
- Access-based Enumeration (ABE) for SMB protocol
- Lock Manager (NLM) v1, v2, v3, and v4
- REST API: Open API that uses HTTP requests to provide management
- Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
- Management & Data Ports IPv4 or IPv6
- RSVD v1 for Microsoft Hyper-V (SMB3)
- Block Protocols: iSCSI, Fibre Channel (FCP SCSI-3), NVMe/FC, NVMe/TCP
- NAS Servers Multi-protocol for UNIX and SMB clients (Microsoft, Apple, Samba)
- Simple Home Directory access for SMB protocol
- DFS Distributed File System (Microsoft) as Standalone Root Server
- Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) v1-v4, 3-way
- Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP)
- Direct Host Attach for Fibre Channel
- Network Information Service (NIS) Client
- Simple Network Management Protocol v2c & v3 (SNMP) Trap support
- Dynamic Access Control (DAC) with claims support
- Network Status Monitor (NSM)
- Virtual LAN (IEEE 802.1q)
- Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP)
- Network Time Protocol (NTP) Client
- VMware Virtual Volumes (vVols) 2.0
- Kerberos Authentication
- NFS v3/v4 Secure Support
- vStorage APIs for Array Integration (VAAI)
- LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
- NT LAN Manager (NTLM)
- vStorage APIs for Storage Awareness (VASA)
Security & Compliance
- Common Criteria (in process)
- Data at Rest Encryption (D@RE) in PowerStore utilizes FIPS 140-2 validated Self-Encrypting Drives (SEDs) by respective drive vendors for primary storage (NVMe SSD, NVMe SCM and SAS SSD).
The NVRAM caching device is encrypted but not FIPS 140-2 validated at this time.
- IPv6 certification
- Native SHA2 certificate
- Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) compliance
- TLS 1.2 support by default, TLS 1.1 and older are disabled by default. TLS 1.1 can be optionally enabled.
All Inclusive Base Software
- Management Software:
- PowerStore Manager
- CloudIQ: Cloud-based storage analytics
- Thin Provisioning
- Dynamic Resiliency Engine (DRE) – Single & Dual parity
- Data Reduction: Zero Detect/Deduplication/Compression
- Proactive Assist: Configure remote support, online chat, open a service request, etc.
- Quality of Service (Block and vVols)
- Protocols: PowerStore T Models
- Protocols: PowerStore X Models
- Local Protection:
- SED Based Encryption with self-managed key management
- Local Point-In-Time Copies (Snapshots and Thin Clones)
- AppSync Basic
- Dell EMC Common Event Enabler; AntiVirus Agent
- Remote Protection:
- Native Asynchronous Block
- Native Block migration from Dell EMC Unity, VNX, SC Series, PS Series
- Block: FC, NVMe-FC, iSCSI, NVMe/TCP and VMware Virtual Volumes (vVols) 2.0
- File: NFSv3, NFSv4, NFSv4.1; CIFS (SMB 1), SMB 2, SMB 3.0, SMB 3.02, and SMB 3.1.1; FTP and SFTP
- AppSync Advanced
- Connectrix SAN
- Data Protection Suite: Backup, Archive and Collaboration Software
- Dell EMC RP4VM
- PowerPath Migration Enabler
- PowerPath Multipathing
- PowerStore metro node (block synchronous metro Active/Active, zero RPO/RTO)
Virtualization and Container Solutions
PowerStore offers support for a wide variety of protocol and advanced features available via various software suites and packs including but not limited to:
- Dell EMC Virtual Storage Integrator (VSI) for VMware vSphere: For provisioning, management, and cloning
- OpenStack Cinder Driver: For provisioning and managing block volumes within an OpenStack environment
- VMware Site Recovery Manager (SRM) Integration: Managing failover and failback making disaster recovery rapid and reliable
- Virtualization API Integration: VMware: VAAI and VASA.
- vRO Plugin for PowerStore
- Container Storage Interface (CSI) Plugin for PowerStore
- Ansible Module for PowerStore
1 One Mezzanine card per node, mirrored.
2 Two IO Modules per node, mirrored.
3 Value shown is vendor raw base capacity. TB is base-10 decimal (1000x1000x1000x1000). TiB is base-2 binary (1024x1024x1024x1024). For true appliance useable capacity data refer to Power Sizer.
Maximum raw capacity may vary based on drive sizes available at time of purchase.
Maximum logical capacity supported per appliance is 8 exabytes (EB).
4 4 Onboard ports by default
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.
Get a Quote!