Dell EMC PowerProtect DP4400 Appliance
Simply Powerful Data Protection
The PowerProtect DP4400 appliance is an all-in-one data protection solution that is the perfect mix of simplicity and power for small and midsize organizations as well as enterprise remote office or branch office (ROBO) environments – delivering a low cost-to-protect and is guaranteed with proven and modern offerings from Dell Technologies.
All-in-one Data Protection
The PowerProtect DP4400 appliance is an integrated, all-in-one data protection appliance tailor-made for small and mid-size organizations, as well as enterprise ROBO deployments. It offers complete backup, deduplication, replication, recovery, instant access and restore, search and analytics, and seamless VMware integration – plus, cloud readiness with disaster recovery and long-term retention to the cloud – all in a convenient 2U appliance.
The DP4400 provides comprehensive coverage, performance and cloud readiness. It supports a wide application ecosystem and has been optimized for VMware environments, with superior performance for protection of approximately 5PB of logical data with a 2U, 96TB appliance. With native Cloud Tier for long-term retention, the DP4400 can protect up to 14.4PB data – all without the need for additional hardware. It also offers efficient and cost-effective native cloud disaster recovery (to Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure and VMware Cloud on AWS) with end-to-end orchestration – failover in 3 clicks, and failback in 2 clicks.
- Comprehensive and complete data protection with broad application ecosystem support
- Customer-installable/upgradeable 2U appliance; grow-in-place (8-96 TB) with no additional hardware needed
- Seamless integration and automation across the entire VMware protection stack, making it easy and cost-effective to scale up to protect more VMs
- Expand to the cloud with native long-term retention and disaster recovery add-on capabilities
- Proven and modern solution with the Future-Proof Program and Dell Technologies on Demand providing peace of mind and flexible consumption models
Data protection is becoming more complex
Organizations need to efficiently protect an ever-increasing amount of data in a growing distributed ecosystem of applications and workloads — all while improving time-to-value, reducing overall cost and complexity, and planning for growth. Organizations also need to seamlessly incorporate cloud into data protection strategies.
This is not easy to accomplish with many of today’s data protection solutions which sacrifice performance for simplicity or require multiple products and vendors—resulting in lengthy and time-consuming deployment while delivering complex and expensive management of fragmented data protection environments.
PowerProtect DP series appliance: Simple, efficient and agile data protection
The DP series is an all-in-one backup appliance that reduces the complexity of managing multiple data silos, point solutions and vendor relationships. The DP series simplifies deployment and management—while delivering powerful, enterprise-grade data protection capabilities for small, mid-size and enterprise organizations at a low cost-to-protect4. It is an integrated solution that offers complete backup, replication, recovery, deduplication, instant access and restore, search & analytics, seamless VMware integration — plus, cloud readiness with disaster recovery (DR) and long-term retention (LTR) to the cloud — all in a single appliance.
With the DP series, customers reduce their time-to-protect and become more agile with a solution that’s fast, protected more efficiently, can be recovered quickly and is reliable.
Simple to deploy, scale and manage
The DP series enables organizations to protect a broad ecosystem of applications quickly with a single system management console, consolidating workload protection, and eliminating infrastructure or data sprawl. The easy-to-use System Manager simplifies backups and automates daily tasks, including monitoring, management, reporting, analytics and search.
The DP series delivers all-in-one data protection: protection storage and software, search and advanced monitoring and analytics, combined with cloud extensibility. It offers integration with VMware, SQL and Oracle management tools so that admins can use familiar UIs.
Powerful cloud, performance and efficiency
The DP series can scale to fit the needs of enterprises with the ability to protect up to 195 PB (logical) of data to the public, private or hybrid clouds with Cloud Tier, with no additional hardware. Plus, native Cloud DR with end-to-end orchestration allows enterprises to copy backed-up VMs from on-premises DP series environments to the public cloud with AWS, Azure, or VMware Cloud on AWS —3 clicks to failover and 2 clicks to failback.
The DP series provides support for modern applications like MongoDB and MySQL and is optimized for VMware. It provides fast, single-step recovery of individual files, dynamic policies for VMs as well as complete VMware images, which can be instantly accessed and migrated live from the DP series appliance back to the production environment (using vMotion) while still running, further simplifying and optimizing VM recovery. Plus, instantly access up to 64 VMs with up to 60,000 IOPS to meet the strictest SLAs.
Data protection search simplifies file-level-recovery (FLR) activities with an easy-to-use search interface. The DP series is also built on the industry-proven Data Invulnerability Architecture (DIA), for encryption, fault detection, and healing.
Dell Technologies APEX
Dell Technologies APEX delivers a range of inclusive consumption models for PowerProtect appliances that combine flexible payment solutions with value-added services. Our innovative, all-encompassing solutions enable you to:
- Pay as you go – Make predictable payments over an agreed upon cycle – and grow over time at a pre-determined rate
- Pay as you use – Measure actual usage, set baseline capacity needs with the flexibility to elastically scale on demand
- Provided as-a-Service – Let us manage and maintain the technology, aligned to SLAs, and bill as resources are consumed
- Integrated protection storage and software
- Easy to deploy, scale and manage via single pane of glass across broad application ecosystem
- Save time with single vendor solution for data in hybrid multi-cloud, edge and core
- Improved compression with higher performance – typically 65x deduplication and 30% higher data compression1
- Improve SLOs – up to 38% faster backup and up to 45% faster restores2
- NVME flash for faster instant access and restore up to 60K IOPS and 64 VMs3
- Protection for modern applications and optimized for VMware virtual environments
- VMware File-level Recovery, dynamic policies for VMs, application-consistent VM image backups
- Automated monitoring, analytics, reporting, plus search capabilities
- Extends data protection to private and public clouds with Cloud Tier for LTR and Cloud DR — with no additional hardware
- Reduces costs for LTR capacity management with space estimator tool
Density and performance
- Up to 864 TB (usable), 56.1 PB (logical) capacity with cloud tier6
- Up to 31K IOPS for instant access and restore for up to 20 VMs3
Energy Efficiency on Dell Storage
- Dell is committed to improving energy efficiency in our storage portfolio with each generation
- Oracle, SAP, Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, MS SQL Server, Sybase, MySQL, MongoDB, Pivotal Greenplum, IBM DB2, Lotus Notes, and more
- Hypervisors supported: VMware, Microsoft Hyper-V, and KVM
- All major file systems, including Windows, Linux, HP-UX, AIX, Solaris, Mac OS and more
- Supported cloud providers include: Amazon Web Services, Dell EMC Elastic Cloud Storage, Microsoft Azure, VMware, IBM Cloud Object Storage, Google Cloud Platform, Alibaba Cloud and Ceph
Native Cloud Disaster Recovery
- Orchestrated via AWS, Microsoft Azure, or VMware Cloud on AWS
Cyber Recovery Integration
- Highest levels of protection, integrity and availability against cyber attacks for on-premises and multi-cloud environments
- Available on DP4400 & DP5900
Dell Technologies APEX
- Flexible payment options including pay as you go, pay as you use, and provided as-a-Service options
1 Based on Dell internal testing and field telemetry data. March 2022. Actual results may vary
2 Based on Dell internal testing compared to the previous generation, March 2022. Actual results may vary..
3 When using DDOS 7.5 and later on the DP5900. Based on Dell internal testing. Actual results may vary. August 2022
4 Analyzing the Economic and Operational Benefits of the Dell EMC Data Protection Portfolio Report, Enterprise Strategy Group, September 2020.
5 According to Dell Internal Testing. March 2022.
6 Total capacity with cloud tier for long-term retention.
7 Dell EMC Information Technology Equipment is compliant with all currently applicable regulatory requirements for Electromagnetic Compatibility, Product Safety, and Environmental Regulations where placed on market. Regulatory information and verification of compliance is available at Dell Regulatory Compliance site. http://dell.com/regulatory_compliance
|Performance and Capacity|
|Maximum Throughput1||Up to 9.0 TB/hr||Up to 33 TB/hr|
|Maximum Logical Capacity1,2||4.8 PB||18.7 PB|
|W/ Cloud Tier||14.4 PB2||56.1 PB|
|Maximum Usable Capacity||8 to 96 TB3||96 to 288 TB|
|W/ Cloud Tier||Up to 288 TB2||Up to 864 TB|
|Processor||Intel Xeon||Intel Xeon|
|Drive Type||SAS 12 TB||SAS 4 TB|
|Built-in Networking||8x RJ45 or 8x SFP Optical links (only two req’d)3||4x40GbE Customer uplinks; Each Quad SFP port can be split to 4x10GbE uplinks; Only two required|
|Dimensions||17.09 x 28.17 x 3.42 (inches WDH)
434 x 715.5 x 86.8 (mm WDH)
|40U rack Height: 75 in (190.8 cm);
Width: 24.0 in (61.1 cm); Depth: 39.0 in (99.2 cm)
|Weight||72.8 lbs5||450 lbs|
|Power (100-120 / 200-240 V ≈ 50/60 Hz)||475 VA (MAX @ 35°C)||Up to 2,830 VA (200-240 V only)|
|Thermal Rating||1620 BTU / HR||9,300 BTU / HR|
|Operating Temperature/Altitude||10°C to 35°C, 35°C at 7,500 ft||10°C to 35°C, 35°C at 7,500 ft|
|Non-operating (Transportation) Temperature||-40°C to +65°C (-40°F to +149°F)||-40°C to +65°C (-40°F to +149°F)|
|Operating Humidity||10% to 80% relative humidity with 29°C (84.2°F) maximum dew point||20% to 80% non-condensing|
DP Series Rack
- DP4400: Two single-phase inlet connections. All power connections redundant.
- All other systems: Single phase is standard, optional 3-phase. For rack 1, four power inlet connections for single phase. Two power inlet connections for 3-phase. For rack 2, if required, two power inlet connections. All power connections redundant.
- Single phase: NEMA L6-30p or IEC 60309 332P6
- 3-phase: Consult your local Dell representative
- Refer to table above
- 30A site circuit breaker on each power domain
- 40U available rack capacity
- Height: 75 in (190.8 cm); Width: 24.0 in (61.1 cm); Depth: 39.0 in (99.2 cm) Weight: 380 lbs. (173 kg) when empty
1 Top-end values are maximums – actual capacity & throughput depends on application workload, deduplication, and other settings.
2 Mix of typical enterprise backup data (file systems, databases, email, developer files). The low end of capacity range represents a full backup weekly or monthly, incremental backup daily or weekly, to system capacity. The top end of the range represents full backup daily, to system capacity. All capacity values are calculated using Base10 (i.e., 1 TB = 1,000,000,000,000 bytes).
3 If starting at less than 24TB, hardware upgrade kit is required to bridge from 24TB to larger capacities. The upgrade is expected to take up to 90 minutes to complete.
4 RJ45 or SFP retrofit option will provide flexibility for existing DP4400 customers to better accommodate to their lab networking requirements. These network cards are customer installable and configurable.
5 Weight is of a fully populated DP4400
6 Dell EMC Information Technology Equipment is compliant with all currently applicable regulatory requirements for Electromagnetic Compatibility, Product Safety, and Environmental Regulations where placed on market. Regulatory information and verification of compliance is available at Dell Regulatory Compliance site. http://dell.com/regulatory_compliance
Solutions & Services:
Dell EMC offers complete end-to-end services
Optimizing the IT lifecycle is vital. Dell EMC has expert services* for all lifecycle phases that save you time and resources, reduce effort, and improve your IT experience.
ProSupport Enterprise Suite
Gain the freedom to focus on your business transformation with the support expertise and insights Dell EMC is known for across the globe. Choose the right support based on the criticality of specific systems with available automated predictive analysis, collaborative third-party assistance and service account management.
ProDeploy Enterprise Suite helps you get more out of technology starting on day one. Trust Dell EMC experts to lead deployments from basic hardware installations through planning, configuration and complex integrations. Our complete suite of deployment services and professional certifications helps you achieve business outcomes today and tomorrow.
Education Services offers an expansive suite of training services with multiple delivery methods, including instructor-led, self-paced online and virtual instructor-led training. With comprehensive and flexible training programs, we make it easy to ensure your staff has the skills they need to successfully manage and utilize your new technology to its full potential.
Consulting services give expert guidance to help you grow, optimize and transform your IT environment at your own pace and budget. We employ a broad range of certified consultants and engineers, backed by program management teams, who can deliver deep technical expertise. We give you the confidence that your project will be done right and on time.
- Pricing and product availability subject to change without notice.